Careers and Opportunities at Hospice Toronto
Hospice Toronto -Young Carers Program Coordinator
Hospice Toronto is a community based home visiting hospice located downtown Toronto with a commitment to providing support to those living with a life limiting illness, and their caregivers.
Our focus on caregivers gave rise to a unique program in 2009 aimed at providing support for YOUNG CARERS; children who are caring for family members who may have a disability, chronic or life ending illness, addictions or mental health challenges. This program is delivered in the GTA through local partnerships.
Our program was developed through a collaborative partnership with the Children’s Society in England. Through this, we developed our local program components as well as a tool kit for replication in other communities. This year we are excited to be working with the Children’s Society to develop an innovative project called “Hidden” a photo exhibit Young Carers to support awareness in Ontario (based on the successful UK project) .
As our new program Coordinator you will be responsible for all aspects of our local young carers group based programs as well as support for “Hidden”
Profile: You are motivated and responsible with strong interpersonal skills. The successful candidate works well independently, is organized, and is flexible in meeting the challenges that occur with the implementation of a new program. You greatly enjoy working with youth and can effectively run groups. The successful candidate will also have experience working in a collaborative environment, seeking, and valuing input from others.
Directly reporting to the CEO you will be responsible for:
- The coordination and execution of all social and recreational programs offered at program sites for young carers throughout the GTA
- Outreach and education for professionals in the field of health care, social work, and education about the issues facing young carers
- Recruitment and intake including completion of assessment and referral activities and forms, and providing support for care-giving families
- Group facilitation of youth programs
- Managing and recruiting volunteers for the YCP programs
- Aid CEO with program statistics and narrative for funder reports or prospective funding opportunities
- Five + years’ experience working with children and youth planning and facilitating group based /therapeutic approach activities
- Previous experience as a young carer an asset
- Qualified Child Life Specialist (with practical experience in program planning and facilitation) an asset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Social media savvy
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Highly developed team skills
- Strong computer skills and ability to document information and complete reports
- Current First Aid & CPR certification
- Up-to-date Police clearance, including vulnerable persons
- Valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle an asset
Job Type: Full time contract employee
We are an equal opportunity employer welcoming applications from individuals with diverse backgrounds.
If you are interested in this position and in joining the Hospice Toronto team, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than Friday, January 26th, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line: “YCP Coordinator”
We appreciate your interest in our job opportunity, however, only those applicants selected to proceed in the process will be contacted.
As Hospice Toronto takes pride in being an ethical employer, it has recently been brought to our attention that there have been individuals attempting to recruit or employ international health care professionals on behalf of Hospice Toronto for a fee. Please note that Hospice Toronto does not require any form of payment for employment or volunteering. Please report any suspicious opportunities to your local authorities or check the Government of Canada/Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) website for more information on reporting fraudulent activities. Do not make payments without confirming the validity of any posting with the organization listed.
Please feel free contact us if you have any further questions or concerns at 1-416-364-1666 or email@example.com.