Careers and Opportunities at Hospice Toronto
Job Title: Volunteer Manager
Status: Full Time (35 hours per week)
Hospice Toronto is a not-for-profit, community-focused and volunteer based in-home and residential hospice care program. Hospice Toronto is dedicated to significantly improving the quality of life of people living with life-threatening or chronic illness by connecting highly trained volunteers with unique skill-sets to meet the individual needs of our clients. Using a holistic model of care, volunteers offer physical, emotional and practical support to clients, as well as respite support to their families and caregivers.
Hospice Toronto is Toronto’s first not-for-profit, volunteer-based, hospice palliative care program and is recognized as a leader in the development of innovative home hospice services and programs. We have forged solid partnerships and collaborated with other agencies and professionals in the hospice palliative care sector.
Hospice Toronto is committed to excellence in client and caregiver care and continues to respond to the changing health care climate. The successful candidate will be energetic, highly motivated team member committed to the delivery of in-home and residential hospice services and comfortable working with people who are coping with progressive life-threatening conditions, grief and bereavement, mental health conditions and addictions.
Reporting to the CEO, the successful candidate will be responsible for the overall delivery of services by volunteers and the support of said volunteers in keeping with Hospice Toronto core values and philosophy of care. The Volunteer Manager will engage in volunteer recruitment, screening, supervision, scheduling, and ongoing support to Hospice Toronto’s volunteer team.
- Volunteer Recruitment and Support
- Ensure the development and or maintenance of position descriptions for all volunteer roles
- Implement and evaluate all volunteer related recruitment, orientation, support and educational activities
- Oversee the recruitment, screening, training and ongoing support to all volunteer roles
- In collaboration with Client Services Coordinators, assess suitability of all direct client service volunteers
- Supervise placement students with Clinical Team
- Oversee entry of volunteer related data in keyed in database, ensuring all information is current and accurate.
- Oversee follow-up with volunteers for activity reports, entry of volunteer hours, as well as processing any claims for volunteer expense reimbursement
- Non-Clinical Supervision
- Provide non-clinical volunteer supervision and volunteer assignment of duties
- Engage in regular contact with care team, board, admin and social media volunteers re volunteer satisfaction.
- Conduct yearly evaluations and surveys re volunteer satisfaction
- Oversee the monitoring of status of volunteers on leaves of absence/bereavement and engage them as required
- Program Development and Evaluation
- Participate in strategic and related service and program planning and development for Hospice Toronto
- Contribute to conducting environmental scans of the community to identify and understand emerging local issues and opportunities for volunteer involvement e.g., issues of diversity
- Implement and evaluate post-trainings orientation process and other volunteer educational activities, including educational activities jointly organized with other agencies
- Conduct educational needs assessments with individual volunteers and through specific sessions
- Participate in other volunteer related program improvement initiatives, including evaluation of programs and services, consistent with organizational goals and objectives
- Participate in Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) initiatives by identifying areas for quality improvement related to education and volunteer management and by implementing changes where appropriate
- Contribute to setting and achieving objectives, and attaining outcomes that are aligned with overall service program directions
- Demonstrate leadership within area of responsibility; this includes assuming a lead role for specific program(s)
- Assist with the development of relevant program policies and procedures as required
- Volunteer and Special Events
- Recognise and acknowledge volunteers for length of service and all positive contributions as necessary within the organization, regionally and nationally
- Plan and coordinate special events such as National Volunteer Week, volunteer appreciation, recruitment drives and training workshops
- Participate in other relevant events that contributes to garnering support for Hospice Toronto
- Maintain computerized volunteer contact information
- Collect and maintain statistics re: volunteer recruitment, retention, involvement, attrition, appreciation, ensuring record keeping is consistent with the policies, procedures and standards of the organization
- Review current forms and volunteer policies developing new forms and updating policies as appropriate
- Engage in ongoing learning and stay abreast of current trends and directions in volunteer services relevant to Hospice Toronto
- Attend volunteer coordinators’ network meetings
- Participate in clinical team and program development meetings
Job Qualifications & Skills:
- Post-Secondary education in volunteer management; human resources; social services or healthcare from an accredited education institution or equivalent education and/or experience in a volunteer management role
- Volunteer Management certification is essential to this role
- Two to four+ years of experience managing 100+ active volunteers in a hospice palliative care environment
- Experience and commitment to the coordination of volunteers
- Experienced training facilitator
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and ethically with little supervision as well as interdependently as a member of an interdisciplinary team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to a degree that influences support, inclusivity and engagement internally and externally, readily sharing information with the Hospice Toronto team and others
- Ability to create and maintain client-centered focus; understanding of and commitment to client-centered care resource to volunteers in advocating for clients
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Superior Interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of current trends, issues and practices related to hospice palliative care and volunteer management
- Comfortable working with and talking about death, dying, and grief
- Strong technical skills – Microsoft Office Suite, databases etc.
- Current Ontario driver’s license, auto insurance, access to a reliable car is an asset
- Fluency in French and/ or other languages is an asset
As the ideal candidate for this role you are:
- Compassionate, sensitive and patient
- Committed to interdisciplinary and inter-professional teamwork
- Able to collaborate and work in a growing and changing environment
- Adhering to professional best practices
- Open to supporting others and to one’s own learning
- Able to work flexible hours including evenings/weekends, participate in on-call rotation
- Flexible approach to work planning and implementation
- Creative and Innovative
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday June 7th, 2019 with the subject line “Volunteer Manager Position“.
We are an equal opportunity employer welcoming applications from individuals with diverse backgrounds as well as those with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We appreciate your interest in this job opportunity, however, only those applicants selected to proceed in the selection process will be contacted.
As Hospice Toronto takes pride in being an ethical employer, it has recently been brought to our attention that there have been individuals attempting to recruit or employ international health care professionals on behalf of Hospice Toronto for a fee. Please note that Hospice Toronto does not require any form of payment for employment or volunteering. Please report any suspicious opportunities to your local authorities or check the Government of Canada/Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) website for more information on reporting fraudulent activities. Do not make payments without confirming the validity of any posting with the organization listed.
Please feel free contact us if you have any further questions or concerns at 1-416-364-1666 or email@example.com.