Join our Volunteer Team
COVID 19 UPDATE:
Many of our programs are running remotely at the moment, so we need volunteers now more than ever. We continue to train and support volunteers for the vital work of caring for our clients over the phone, through video conferencing and for in-person programs when they resume.
Currently under construction
Thank you for your interest in Hospice Toronto’s Volunteer Program. As a non-profit registered charity, Hospice Toronto relies on its volunteers in all aspects of our services.
We have over 250 volunteers, who together with our staff assist approximately 400 individuals and hundreds of families each year.
Roles with direct client contact
Any role with direct client contact must undergo a thorough screening and training process, which includes;
- – Attending an information session (Dates listed below),
- – Submitting an application (Downloadable from this page),
- – A one hour interview,
- – Presentation of a clear vulnerable sector check,
- – Attending a core training program (Dates listed below)
All volunteers’ roles with direct client contact are a time commitment of 2-4 hours a week and we ask you to make a commitment of volunteering for one year following the completion of training.
In-Home Hospice Volunteers
- – Provide direct client care services
- – Offer companionship and emotional support
- – Practical support (e.g. organizing papers, light household duties, food preparation and shopping assistance)
Rapid Response Volunteers
- – Provide direct client care services; on a short notice and on short-term basis
- – Offer companionship, emotional support and practical support
Similar to the In-Home Volunteer; Creating Caring Community volunteers support individuals with serious illnesses and their families in their homes. What makes this program unique:
- – Focused on the complex healthcare needs of new Canadians, seniors and people living marginally
- – Collaborate in culturally sensitive ways with other local agencies
- – Applicants must live in St. James town or the surrounding neighborhoods
Journey Home Hospice (located at Jarvis St and Shuter St)
- – Work in a residential hospice setting providing emotional, social and practical support for clients
- – Serving clients who are experiencing homelessness or vulnerably housed and coping with a life threatening illness
Complementary Therapy Volunteers
- – Skilled practitioners with formal training in Healing touch, Therapeutic Touch, Reiki, Reflexology, Music or Expressive Arts Therapy
- – Visit with clients in their homes to provide services
- – Support the workshops and events for Young Carers aged 5-18
- – Provide social, recreational, educational, and skill development opportunities for Young Carers
- – Facilitate their connection with peers, build resilience and self-esteem, and give them time to have fun!
Volunteer Roles without direct client contact
These roles have variable time commitments. If you are interested in volunteer roles please reach out directly for more information.
- – Event Volunteers
- – Office Administration Volunteers
- – Social Media/ Creative Writing Volunteers
How to Apply:
Please check our website frequently for updated information regarding upcoming information and training session dates.
Upcoming volunteer information sessions:
For more information about the volunteer roles, the application process or to register for an information session, please contact Alex Schaffter at firstname.lastname@example.org or (416) 779-2076
Upcoming Hospice Volunteer Training:
The next Hospice Volunteer training program will be beginning in October 2020(Subject to change).
- Things to Consider
- Our Programs
- Volunteer Application Form – Fillable Form
- Volunteer Application Form – Printable Version
- In-Home and Hospice Volunteer Position Description
- Residential Hospice Volunteer Position Description
- Complementary Therapy Volunteer Position Description
- Creating Caring Communities Volunteer Position Description
- Office Team Volunteer Position Description
- Social Media Volunteer Position Description
To speak with someone directly regarding your specific volunteer interests and to submit an application please contact Alex at (416) 779-2076 or email@example.com
Volunteering at Hospice Toronto can be a demanding and challenging opportunity, yet a very rewarding and fulfilling one that allows our clients to die at home with dignity and support. We look forward to hearing from you.
Please be advised that Hospice Toronto is NOT recruiting international health care professionals in the Philippines or any other country outside of Canada. Please click here for more information and inform your local authorities if you receive any fraudulent offers.