Join our Volunteer Team
Currently under construction
Thank you for your interest in Hospice Toronto’s Volunteer Program. As a non-profit registered charity, Hospice Toronto relies on its volunteers in all aspects of our services.
We have over 250 volunteers, who together with our staff assist approximately 400 individuals and hundreds of families each year.
Roles with direct client contact
Any role with direct client contact must undergo a thorough screening and training process, which includes;
- – Attending an information session (Dates listed below),
- – Submitting an application (Downloadable from this page),
- – A one hour interview,
- – Presentation of a clear vulnerable sector check,
- – Attending a core training program (Dates listed below)
All volunteers’ roles with direct client contact are a time commitment of 2-4 hours a week and we ask you to make a commitment of volunteering for one year following the completion of training.
In-Home Hospice Volunteers
- – Provide direct client care services
- – Offer companionship and emotional support
- – Practical support (e.g. organizing papers, light household duties, food preparation and shopping assistance)
Rapid Response Volunteers
- – Provide direct client care services; on a short notice and on short-term basis
- – Offer companionship, emotional support and practical support
Similar to the In-Home Volunteer; Creating Caring Community volunteers support individuals with serious illnesses and their families in their homes. What makes this program unique:
- – Focused on the complex healthcare needs of new Canadians, seniors and people living marginally
- – Collaborate in culturally sensitive ways with other local agencies
- – Applicants must live in St. James town or the surrounding neighborhoods
Journey Home Hospice (located at Jarvis St and Shuter St)
- – Work in a residential hospice setting providing emotional, social and practical support for clients
- – Serving clients who are experiencing homelessness or vulnerably housed and coping with a life threatening illness
Complementary Therapy Volunteers
- – Skilled practitioners with formal training in Healing touch, Therapeutic Touch, Reiki, Reflexology, Music or Expressive Arts Therapy
- – Visit with clients in their homes to provide services
- – Work with children in the home who are impacted by the illness of a loved one
- – Provide companionship and emotional support.
- – Support the workshops and events for Young Carers aged 5-18
- – Provide social, recreational, educational, and skill development opportunities for Young Carers
- – Facilitate their connection with peers, build resilience and self-esteem, and give them time to have fun!
- – Work with bereaved individuals, families and groups
Volunteer Roles without direct client contact
These roles have variable time commitments. If you are interested in volunteer roles please reach out directly for more information.
- – Event Volunteers
- – Office Administration Volunteers
- – Social Media/ Creative Writing Volunteers
How to Apply:
If you are interested in becoming a Hospice Volunteer or would like to learn more please RSVP to one of the following information sessions (Note there are specific information sessions for Creating Caring Communities ). You can get started by downloading an application form and send it to us before attending an information session.
For more information about the volunteer roles, the application process or to register for an information session, please contact Alex Schaffter at email@example.com or (416)364-1666 ext. 226
General Volunteer Information Sessions will be held at 55 Eglinton Ave East Suite #502
|Saturday Oct 26th||10:30am – 12pm|
|Wednesday Nov 6th||3:00pm – 4:30pm|
|Monday Nov 18th||6:00pm – 7:30pm|
|Wednesday Nov 27th||3:00pm – 4:30pm|
|Thursday Dec 5th||6:00pm – 7:30pm|
Volunteer Information Session Dates (Creating Caring Communities):
Located at The Corner at St. James’s.
|Thursday October 24th||6pm – 8pm|
For more information about the Creating Caring Communities Info Sessions please contact Minara at firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming Palliative Care Core Hospice Volunteer Training:
The next Palliative Care Core Hospice Volunteer training program will be starting November 2019 and will be taking place on ALL of the dates below (attendance at all sessions is required):
|2 Sessions||Tuesdays||November 5th & 12th||5:45pm – 9:15pm|
|2 Sessions||Thursdays||November 7th & 14th||5:45pm – 9:15pm|
|2 Sessions||Saturdays||November 9th & 16th||9:30am – 4:00 pm|
All training sessions scheduled to be held at:
North Multipurpose Room
45 Brunswick Ave
- Things to Consider
- Our Programs
- Volunteer Application Form
- In-Home and Hospice Volunteer Position Description
- Residential Hospice Volunteer Position Description
- Complementary Therapy Volunteer Position Description
- Creating Caring Communities Volunteer Position Description
- Office Team Volunteer Position Description
- Social Media Volunteer Position Description
To speak with someone directly regarding your specific volunteer interests and to submit an application please contact us at 416-364-1666, ext. 226 or via e-mail.
Volunteering at Hospice Toronto can be a demanding and challenging opportunity, yet a very rewarding and fulfilling one that allows our clients to die at home with dignity and support. We look forward to hearing from you.
Please be advised that Hospice Toronto is NOT recruiting international health care professionals in the Philippines or any other country outside of Canada. Please click here for more information and inform your local authorities if you receive any fraudulent offers.