What We Do
Hospice Toronto works on a care team model, in the belief that teams of caregivers from different walks of life can best meet the needs of someone who chooses to die at home. A care team often includes spouses or partners, families, friends, neighbours, colleagues, doctors, nurses, personal support workers, and volunteers.
We can help set up the team, provide team members with training and support, and supplement the team with skilled volunteers if required.
Hospice volunteers may do the following:
- Offer respite for caregivers
- Prepare light meals and do light housekeeping
- Help with mobility, including getting in and out of bed and around the home
- Provide a variety of non-medical comfort measures, personal care, and mouth care
- Accompany to the store, religious services, for a walk
- Assist with writing or scrapbooking of life stories
- Read together or watch a movie
- Play cards or other games
- Provide complementary therapies, e.g., healing touch, reiki