Listen to this website and (or) translate to another language with BrowseAloud
We are excited to be able to add high quality speech and reading support functions on our website through BrowseAloud. This new functionality can benefit those with:
- Literacy Difficulties
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Mild Visual Impairments
Whether you are browsing the web on your Smartphone, Tablet, PC or Mac, BrowseAloud can provide the reading support tools that suite your individual needs for free.
More than 7,000 websites use BrowseAloud, so once you have it on your device you can listen to all of these websites too.
What is BrowseAloud?
BrowseAloud reads website content out loud in a high quality, human-sounding voice.
Each word is highlighted as it is read aloud and the sentence is highlighted in a contrasting color. This allows users to easily identify what text is being read aloud and navigate within and between web pages. BrowseAloud is free to website visitors, there’s no download required and it is really easy to get.
Special features include:
- text-to-speech: click on or select any text to hear it read aloud
- translation: written and spoken translations in multiple languages
- text magnification: enlarges text and reads it out loud
- mp3 generation: converts selected text into an MP3 audio file
- screen mask: blocks distractions on screen with a tinted mask
- web page simplifer: removes clutter from the screen, displaying only the main text
- settings: customise options to suit individual needs or preferences
To access, download and (or) open the BrowseAloud Toolbar, click on the icon at the bottom Left Hand side of the page.
Once the toolbar is open, click the “?” for more information on the features available on the toolbar.
For support with using BrowseAloud
A full range of support services are provided for
Service animals: Hospice Toronto welcomes
people with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are allowed
on the parts of our premises that are open to the public.
Support persons: Hospice
Toronto welcomes support persons for people with disabilities in/on the areas
of our premises that are open to the public or third parties and to our events
(free of charge).